Performance Improvement Opportunity
This virtual Collaborative is a joint effort of Constellation® and the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM) focused on improving the diagnostic process during two of the three key stages; tests and results processing and follow-up and coordination.
Why diagnostic error? Let’s start with the big a-ha
Diagnostic errors affect an estimated 12 million Americans each year, and likely cause more harm to patients than all other medical errors combined. With almost half of Constellation diagnosis-related malpractice claims involving follow-up system failures, analysis reveals that accurate and timely diagnosis depends nearly as much on the health care team and systems as it does on the diagnosticians themselves. Investing time and resources in re-engineering diagnostic workflows, implementing reliable HIT systems and boosting communication processes creates stronger care teams, increases efficiency and productivity and improves the diagnostic process.
For the purposes of this Collaborative, we will focus on closing the loop on the diagnostic process beginning with the transmission and receipt of a test result (step 8 in the graphic) and ending with the patient and provider establishing a follow-up plan (step 12). In the stages of test/result processing and follow-up/coordination, there are multiple opportunities to improve the diagnostic process, including but not limited to: tracking receipt of reports on all tests ordered, improving the timeliness of action on results, clinician follow-up with the patient about results, referral/consult management, and patient information communicated among the care team.
Who should join?
Clinic, hospital, or health system teams interested in improving the diagnostic process (steps 8-12) in your organization. Quality improvement (QI) teams could include physicians, quality and safety leaders, department managers, nursing, lab or HIT personnel.
The Collaborative will use an Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) learning model for QI Collaboratives including virtual educational sessions, time for workflow improvement, and data collection and reporting. By June 2022, through a series of webinars, coaching calls, and meetings, participants should be able to show improvement in a QI project aimed at closing the loop on diagnostic error.
What's in it for you?
- Reduction in patient harm, inefficiencies and financial burdens
- Enhanced market reputation
- Virtual community: a SIDM managed virtual community for the Collaborative to share work, update on progress, raise questions, and join conversations in a forum
- QI Coach OR QI Advisor to spend time with each team to:
- Identify high-leverage change ideas and test them using Plan Do Study Act (PDSA) cycles
- Plan and troubleshoot how to develop, test, and implement changes
- Assess whether positive changes are sustainable using statistical analysis
- Develop a plan for the “scale and spread” of positive changes
- Educational webinars: 60-90-minute webinars led by national experts on topics ranging from the complexities and difficulties of conducting QI in this space given the current constraints facing the diagnostic error field to learning how to meaningfully engage patients and family members in the diagnostic process and patient safety efforts
- Meetings to foster peer-to-peer learning and networking with local and national peers working to reduce diagnostic errors
|Sign-up deadline||May 7, 2021|
|Kick-off meeting & intro calls||Week of June 1, 2021|
|Monthly group calls||Each month starting July 2021 and ending in June 2022, except months with quarterly calls.|
|Quarterly calls||August 2021, November 2021, February 2022, May 2022|
|Webinars||June 2021, September 2021, December 2021, March 2022, June 2022 (wrap-up)|
|2021 SIDM QI Summit||October 2021|
|End of project meeting||June 2022|
Constellation is a growing portfolio of medical professional liability insurance and partner companies formed in response to the ever-changing realities of health care and dedicated to reducing risk and supporting physicians and care teams, thereby improving business results. Visit www.ConstellationMutual.com to learn more and follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
About the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM)
SIDM catalyzes and leads change to improve diagnosis and eliminate harm from diagnostic error. We work in partnership with patients, their families, the healthcare community and every interested stakeholder. SIDM is the only organization focused solely on the problem of diagnostic error and improving the accuracy and timeliness of diagnosis. In 2015 SIDM established the Coalition to Improve Diagnosis to increase awareness and actions that improve diagnosis. Members of the Coalition represent hundreds of thousands of healthcare providers and patients—and the leading health organizations and government agencies involved in patient care. Together, we work to find solutions that enhance diagnostic safety and quality, reduce harm, and ultimately, ensure better health outcomes for patients. Visit www.ImproveDiagnosis.org to learn more. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.