An Affiliate of the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine
Leading change in Australia and New Zealand to improve diagnosis and eliminate harm from diagnostic error.
The ANZA-SIDM affiliate is dedicated to leading change in Australia and New Zealand to improve diagnosis and eliminate harm from diagnostic error. Our mission is to advance the field of diagnostic safety and quality and to reduce the incidence of diagnostic error through improved collaboration and communication in the diagnostic process. Our members include patients, clinicians (doctors, nurses, paramedics, radiologists, pathologists, allied health), medical educators and researchers.
In 2017 and 2019 the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine hosted the Australasian Diagnostic Error in Medicine conference. Both conferences were chaired by Dr. Carmel Crock and had more than 200 attendees. The outpouring of support in the region for improving diagnostic quality and safety led to the formation of ANZA-SIDM - the first affiliate of SIDM outside the United States.
If you are from Australia or New Zealand and would like to become part of this exciting new international effort, become a member of SIDM and you will automatically be joined to the ANZA-SIDM affiliate.
"Diagnostic errors are not just a problem in the United States. We are excited to bring focused attention to this problem throughout Australia and New Zealand. We have the active support of specialty colleges and indemnity providers and we look forward to driving research, teaching and practice improvement in diagnosis to Australasia."
Carmel Crock, MD
Chair of the Board of the new ANZA-SIDM Affiliate
ANZA-SIDM affiliate leadership were ratified by the SIDM Board of Directors in November of 2019 and will serve two-year terms. The leaders of the affiliate include:
- Board Chair - Associate Professor Carmel Crock, MD, Director, Emergency Department, The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Vice-Chair - Associate Professor Amanda Walker, Senior Clinical Advisor, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare
- Secretary - Professor Roger Wilson, MD, Chief Pathologist, NSW Health Pathology
- Member - Associate Professor Julia Harrison, MD Emergency Physician, Senior Lecturer, Monash University
- Member - Professor Jill Klein, Melbourne Business School, Professorial Fellow, Melbourne Medical School