Fellowship in Diagnostic Excellence
Looking to develop additional expertise in diagnostic safety and quality?
The Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM) fellowship will enhance your knowledge and skills in diagnostic quality and safety, match you with experienced mentors and recognized leaders in the field of diagnostic error, connect you with the diagnostic error community, and help you develop and implement your own project.
The one-year SIDM fellowship is designed to provide professional career development through
- A personal mentor in your area of focus within diagnosis (e.g., education, research, practice improvement, advocacy, informatics, etc)
- Networking within the diagnostic medicine field
- A structured curriculum of webinars and journal clubs
- Participation in an online community of current and past fellows
- Opportunities for disseminating scholarship at our annual meeting (Diagnostic Error in Medicine conference) and through peer-reviewed publications, such as the SIDM-sponsored journal Diagnosis
Funding for the fellowship program is provided by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
All fellows benefit from the curriculum, project mentorship, integration with the SIDM community, and financial support to attend the annual Diagnostic Error in Medicine conference.
SIDM offers two fellowship options.
- For individuals who are looking to supplement their current position in the health professions with training in diagnostic quality and safety.
- For individuals in an advanced fellowship and/or degree-bearing program who are developing a scholarly focus on diagnostic quality and safety and are seeking a salary stipend for their scholarly work (akin to grant funding in fellowships). Details on the application process for these salary-supported positions are found below. (Two out of three 2019-2020 funded positions are reserved for our partner institutions -- the University of Pennsylvania (CHIPS Program) and Johns Hopkins University. Applicants who wish to purse training in those programs as SIDM fellows will need to apply to those programs in addition to the SIDM fellowship. These two programs have their own application process, including their own submission deadlines.)
Application Period Is Now Closed
Applicants will be notified of final decisions later this spring.