Coalition to Improve Diagnosis
About Our Coalition
The Coalition to Improve Diagnosis, convened and led by the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM), is a collaboration of more than 50 leading healthcare organizations focused on ensuring that diagnoses are accurate, communicated and timely. Our Coalition members represent doctors, nurses, testing professionals, patients and their families, employers, researchers, policymakers, educators and leading health organizations and government agencies involved in patient care.
The Coalition to Improve Diagnosis is the only collaboration of diverse healthcare organizations singularly focused on improving the diagnostic process. Together, we work to find solutions that enhance diagnostic quality and safety, reduce harm and ultimately, ensure better health outcomes for patients.
Coalition member organizations support the work of the Coalition on its collective actions in whatever way is appropriate for the member organization. In addition, they commit to engage their organization in ongoing individual meaningful action toward reducing the harm of diagnostic error and improving diagnostic accuracy and timeliness.
Goals of the Coalition
Improving diagnosis will not happen overnight. The complexity of diagnostic error and the collaborative, team-based approaches needed to improve accuracy will require disciplined and sustained work in the coming years, with a deep engagement of diverse stakeholders.
Everyone has an important role to play in improving diagnosis. To learn more about the Coalition, read the following documents:
If your organization is interested in joining the Coalition, please contact Coalition@ImproveDiagnosis.org.
Who We Are
- ABIM Foundation
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- American College of Physicians
- Council of Medical Specialty Societies
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Patient-Centered Primary Care Collaborative
- Society of Bedside Medicine
- Society of Hospital Medicine
Hospital or Health Systems
- Advocate Aurora Health
- Ballad Health
- Baystate Health
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Intermountain Healthcare
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Health System
- MedStar Health
- Northwell Health
- Penn State Health, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- The Permanente Federation, Kaiser Permanente
- UCSF Health
- University Hospitals
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- American Heart Association
- Consumers Advancing Patient Safety
- Sepsis Alliance
Measurement and Assessment
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Medical Specialties
- COLA, Inc.
- National Quality Forum
- The Joint Commission
- The Leapfrog Group
Medical Education and Training
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine
- Association of American Medical Colleges
Insurers and Payers
Quality and Safety
- American Health Quality Association
- Children’s Hospital Association
- ECRI Institute
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Maryland Patient Safety Center
- Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Medical Errors
- Midwest Alliance for Patient Safety
- Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority
- Washington Patient Safety Coalition
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science
- Association of Clinical Scientists
*Views and knowledge shared by federal liaisons to the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM) and the Coalition to Improve Diagnosis (CID) are limited to activities consistent with the mission of the respective federal agencies. Federal participants serving in their official capacity must not be interpreted as agency endorsement of either SIDM or CID’s activities, business practices, or efforts to advocate or lobby for federal funds.
A special thanks to the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and The Mont Fund for supporting this initiative.
Join the Coalition
Improving diagnosis will not happen overnight, but the most prominent organizations in healthcare and patient advocacy are working together to identify how to improve diagnosis and make care safer. Learn how your organization can help us improve diagnosis.
What ACTion Are You Taking?
Did you know that most of us will experience a diagnostic error in our lifetime? We are working with more than 50 diverse organizations across healthcare to ACT for Better DiagnosisTM.