SIDM Board of Directors Call for Nominations
We’re pleased to announce the 2023 call for candidates to be considered for SIDM’s Board of Directors. During this critical time in our history, SIDM is looking to recruit three (3) board members. This is an opportunity to serve during a pivotal time as we implement our new strategic plan.
WHY SERVE ON THE SIDM BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
SIDM’s mission is to become the premier resource for innovative solutions to reduce medical errors arising from misdiagnosis, delayed diagnosis, or missed diagnosis.
For many past and current board members, serving on the board of SIDM is a way to personally advocate for change with passion driven by lived experience regarding diagnostic error. It’s also an invaluable opportunity for personal and professional development: join a great team of talented professionals who shape the organization’s strategic direction and continually find ways to serve the emerging field of diagnostic excellence.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
SIDM encourages people from a variety of backgrounds, institutions, and experiences to apply, particularly those from historically marginalized communities that are typically underrepresented in the SIDM community. SIDM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression and identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
SIDM is implementing a three-year Strategic Plan emphasizing strengthening the organization’s financial durability and building a community of practice with a continued focus on people, policy, and communities.
SIDM is looking for directors from diverse backgrounds with varied skill sets, perspectives, and voices to contribute their expertise to grow SIDM’s capacity and impact and help SIDM execute its strategic vision.
While all with interest in serving SIDM are encouraged to apply, this year, we are particularly interested in candidates who can bring specific expertise, or have a background and experience, in one or more of the following key areas:
1. Development and Fundraising Experience
We’re looking for board candidates who bring enthusiasm, expertise, and a strategic mindset in fundraising and partnership development.
2. Financial Sustainability and Business Development
We are seeking candidates with demonstrated financial acumen to support the organization with a view to help SIDM mitigate risks and increase the organization’s long-term financial and operational sustainability.
3. Health Equity
SIDM is seeking board members passionate about equity and equitable healthcare for all.
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF SIDM BOARD MEMBERS?
SIDM’s Board of Directors is both a governance and a working board. This means that in addition to being fiduciary guardians of this 5013(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, our board members roll up their sleeves and dedicate time to working on organizational projects. For most, this means taking an active role on one or more of our board committees and working groups.
Board members are expected to attend four annual board meetings: three virtual, and one in person at the annual conference.
SIDM offers travel reimbursements for members to cover travel-related expenses to attend in-person board meetings.
Once appointed, SIDM Directors serve a two-year renewable term.
The following outlines the expectations and responsibilities of board members:
- Demonstrate a commitment to the well-being and advancement of SIDM
- Regularly attend Board and committee meetings
- Participate on at least one committee within SIDM
- Attend Board related activities and participate in appropriate special events
- Contribute skills, knowledge, and experience when appropriate (e.g., fundraising, advocacy, finance, nonprofit leadership, patient experiences, clinical solutions/technology)
- Avoid conflict of interest
- Focus efforts on the mission of SIDM
- Make a personally significant annual contribution
- Adhere to responsibilities specified in the Bylaws
- Provide oversight, leadership, and direction to SIDM through the CEO/President
- Participate in hiring and evaluation of CEO
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Strategic Plan
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility by participating in annual budget planning
- Have and exercise any and all powers approved by and provided in the Bylaws
- Perform other duties as requested and/or assigned by the Board of Directors
Applicants will be reviewed and presented to the Board of Directors for discussion, followed by a vote on the individual appointment of each proposed candidate for Director. The announcement of newly appointed Directors will be posted on our website and shared with the SIDM community.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply or hope that you will refer someone you think would be a qualified candidate.
Interested parties should send a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to SIDM Chief of Staff and Board Relations Lead Tim Browning via email at email@example.com.